Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wearing the right glasses




My children do not think I am too tall, or too big, or too fat, or too ugly. They do not look at me and see a number on the scales. They don't look at my tired eyes, or the wrinkles that are starting to appear where the skin used to be tight and fresh. They don't examine the pimples on my face or the scars and blemishes on my skin.

No, I'm the one who does that.

My son does not poke my stretched, saggy, soft, pock-marked belly and feel disgust. He delights in the ripples it makes and the giggles that erupt from my mouth.

My daughter does not look at my skin and think it is too dry, or too pale. She traces the freckles on my arm absentmindedly as we watch television, and I am hers.

To my children, I am lovely. I am familiar. This body of mine is beautiful and comforting to them, because it represents the person they love. This body encases the mother they adore. This body grew them and nurtured them for nine months. It cares for them every day, and holds them when they are sad or scared. This body is their safety. To my children I am home.

So why on earth am I so critical of it?

I need to smash the Hollywood-esque lenses that I have been examining myself through, and put on a new pair of glasses, so I can see myself as they see do.

I do not want to be the person who teaches my daughter, that she isn't beautiful. The world is going to tell her that enough, and it will be wrong. I do not want to be the person, who shows my son that a woman must behave in a certain way, look a certain way, work to look a certain way, in order to be deserving of his love and respect.

Yes, I am overweight. Yes I need to do something about it. I want to do something about it. But if I don't, I still have value. My worth is not determined by my weight. My value does not depend on how I look. No matter what society, or culture dictates, I am lovely. To my children, I am beautiful.



I need to like myself, respect myself, and love myself, the way they do.

8 comments:

  1. You need a like button so I could use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I always say to my daughter 'our bodies are strong!" And that's how I want my body to be, and what I want to model for her.

    I think it's easier to take care of ourselves when we love ourselves as we are. Then we treat our bodies well, feed ourselves well and take some exercise. And I honestly believe we can have Health At Every Size - there's a great website of that name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Love it! I am so critical of myself to and hate what I see in the mirror. I need to stop commenting also about how fat and ugly they are as it's just not right for my girls to hear me say that or have their image of me tarnished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - thanks for writing this post. I had never looked at my body from my children's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Robyn. My 3 year old said to me yesterday, "Mummy, you're perfect", and I just love her complete belief in that statement. I replied, "We're all perfect". And I hope she will think that, if not always, for a long, long time.

    I've learned to see myself as my children do, it's wonderfully refreshing and quite self-satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautifully written post. I've never thought to look at myself from my children's perspective. As you say, its so important to model a good self image so our children will have a good self image too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so true. We beat ourselves up about our bodies but for what? Look what it can create? Look who it's looked after? Look what it can do??
    Glad to hear that you've had this realisation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's #1 Social Trading Network...

    Join millions who have already discovered easier methods for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...